New Agricultural Use Designation passed by OR Legislature

• March 11, 2016 at 9:28 am #1691
    meadowsweet
    Participant

I see that Jackson County is using the new statewide designation of Medical Marijuana as an agricultural use to outlaw new residential medical grows. Will this affect growers in Josephine county or elsewhere in our region?

• March 16, 2016 at 10:05 am #1694
    pioneerpete
    Participant

There is a Jackson County meeting on the topic even as I type this. More info on how they will proceed will be available soon. Jackson is unique in southern Oregon in their definitions, so no, Josephine County growers are not similarly affected. Douglas, of course, has a moratorium in effect until the election this November.

• March 20, 2016 at 12:19 pm #1714
    meadowsweet
    Participant

Which specific zones in Jackson County are affected by this?

• March 20, 2016 at 8:00 pm #1715
    pioneerpete
    Participant

In a nutshell, the production of cannabis on RR lands is the core of the discussion. The commissioners there assert it is against their land use code to grow a farm crop on RR. RR5 is the biggest area of interest. The exception for non conforming use costs over $1500. Growing cannabis on EFU land will be permitted, and it will be allowed on forest lands as well is my understanding. At which point an agricultural use becomes a farm use is in question, among other things. We’ll try to have more complete information at Thursday’s meeting. The law is a fast moving target right now, and we all want to be able to plant safely.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.